Wednesday, May 12, 2010

An Indian walking in a white world

My sister asked me a question for a class she is taking for her master's program: "What is it like being you, since you have a very ethnic background?"

"Wow, what an interesting question," I thought. I decided a long explanation was due, but I gave her the Reader's Digest version.

By now, everybody who knows me knows I have a Native American and Lebanese background and I am pretty well rooted in both cultures, which is why she asked me the question.

I told her it was pretty funny being me. I grew up knowing who I am, where my family is from and how proud of that I am.

Now, fast-foward to today. I have since cut my long hair, which is a step off the cultural path from how my mother raised me. So now I look like your typical white male.

This is why it's funny: I don't have to experience racism directly to my face anymore. Do I enjoy being treated equally and given opportunity for my talents, values and work ethic? Absolutely.

Unfortunately, we all know why. This is very sad because I know there are people who still face this battle everyday of their lives. They still get treated unfairly because they have darker skin.

Here's the worse part of this whole thing: I don't get racism and discrimination thrown directly at me. Now, I get to here it from unsuspecting individuals who don't realize where I am from or who I am.

It's a great educational opportunity when it does come up though. It comes up more often than most people might think. That's the silver lining of it all.

I get to be part of this culture and get opportunities that others may not because they are judged before they even have an opportunity to be recognized for their talents. I get to experience success as a reward for my hard work and my family's sacrifice for the long hours I work.

The end result is this should give me more opportunity to assist those who never get that chance to succeed in the business world. It amazes me how much talent there is out in the world that never gets to be recognized because of the imbalances of minorities in positions of impact and authority.

I hope we see more Native Americans with degrees in higher education so they have a better chance to bring an equitable balance to the system.

-- Richard Abourezk

No comments:

Post a Comment